Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Some mothers always say the right thing...and then some don't



Ryan has proven that he CAN go potty on the toilet, but that he most certainly chooses NOT to go on the potty. Potty training has not been very succsessful. In fact, I'm pretty sure Macey will be potty-trained first. Ryan went through a very promising phase in which he would tell me about 2 seconds before he was about to go to the bathroom (in his diaper) that he was going to go. I remember my sister telling me that her daughter did that right before potty-training. I was excited!! So every time he would tell me, I would rush him to the potty (like a good mother) in hopes we made it. He started telling me ALL the time that he had to go...and I brought him to the potty EVERY time thinking I would catch him.

One day, we started at Target and he said he had to go so we rushed to the bathroom to have him tell me "I just can't get it out". 5 minutes later we were wandering the store and the whole scene repeated itself. Later that day we were at the mall in Macy's and he said he had to go. I left Macey with my sister and RAN to the elevator, pressed the basement level and flew to the bathrooms. Out of breath we eagerly made it to the potty. "I just can't get it out again mom". I bit my lip. "Okay...let's go find Macey and Aunt Stephanie. We'll try it again later." Literally as we met up with them he told me he had to go again. The following is the frustrated and annoyed conversation I had with him:
Ryan: "Alright mom...My pee is coming....it's coming right now...a-ha there it is."
Ryan: (Pointing to his pee-pee) "Mom, do you know what's going on in here? I'm peeing everywhere. And I'm about to poop too."
Me: "Well Good. Thats what diapers are for."

Needless to say...he hasn't gone on the potty since. I think I could consider that a lost opportunity :) Now when he tells me he is about to go pee I eagerly (and hopelessly) suggest the potty...he says "No mom. You can just change my diaper when I'm done."

Is there a book on the wrong thing to say during potty-training?

4 comments:

JoshandJen said...

That is funny, but I am afraid I don't have good advice for this, we have been trying with Justin too and its just a lost cause right now. Let me know if you find some good ideas...

Amber said...

hahahaha....

anna said...

My plans for Dominic to be out of diapers by the time his new sister gets here (in two weeks) were a total failure. I am sure Natalie will be trained at the same time if not before, she loves the potty and whenever Dominic is sitting on it she is totally jealous...

and I totally feel your pain with shoveling snow - my neighbor was plowing his driveway with his truck while I was attempting to clear my drive at nine months preg. with two kids running around like crazy. I gave up and we were snowed in for a while :)

Endless Glow by Jenn said...

You've got about 1 year before you have to perfect it and tell me how to do it:)